Monday, March 03, 2014

Hitting our stride

When Avery was only a couple of months old, a friend was telling me about her family's experience with adding a second kid to the mix, and she said she didn't feel like they really "hit their stride" until her youngest was about 5 months old. Another friend confessed that it took them closer to 6 months, and those first 6 months were relatively miserable.

Although I (thankfully!) did not find Avery's arrival into our world to be nearly as overwhelming or traumatic as I had anticipated it to be, it was still encouraging to hear from others that even if it was rough in the beginning, we would most likely get to a point soon where we felt nice and comfortable as a family of 4. And it occurred to me over the weekend that, praise the Lord, I think we have gotten to that point. I think we have hit our stride. 

Why do I think this? For one, because this guy got sick over the weekend, and it wasn't the end of the world.


Last time he was sick, when she was just 2 weeks old, it sure did feel like the end of the world. I remember feeling crippled with anxiety as I wondered how was I going to take care of him while tending to a needy newborn and at the same time keeping her from catching any of his cooties. The mere thought of taking both of them to the doctor at once (even with my mom's help) was terrifying. I couldn't handle his sickness making him wake up in the night because we were already up at all hours with her. It was just chaos. 

Now? It's inconvenient, as illnesses often are, but just a minor bump in the road. Life will be back to normal soon, and I'm grateful that our "normal" is a pretty manageable state these days!

8 comments:

Brittnie said...

This is encouraging b/c right now I feel like we will never regain a sense of routine and normal. . . Ahhhh! I feel like I run around like a crazy person all the living long day! Glad you found your groove!! Here's to hoping mine comes soon. :)

The Joiners said...

Thankful that you've found your new normal and hopeful that Davis is feeling better ASAP!!

Courtney Squillante said...

Yay! Love that you've gotten to that place! It's a great, accomplished feeling!

Erika said...

Glad that you're getting into a more comfortable normal! And love Davis's little pallet on the floor...I totally loved making those when I was a kid!! (Now it makes my back hurt to look at it, but I can still appreciate, ha.)

Natasha said...

I'm so sorry that Davis is sick but so happy that you've hit "normal." Yay!!! I really hope Davis feels better soon.

Aubrey said...

Yay! Congrats on hitting your stride!!

Brittany Sciba said...

That's a great feeling. So glad you are there! :)

Allena said...

Best feeling ever!! I remember almost having a panic attack having both of them alone for the first time and then when it wasn't a big deal I could have cried from happiness. Yay for hitting your stride!