Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Defeated

I feel like this picture of Rocky, taken at 5:00am on Tuesday, is a good illustration of how the first part of our week has gone. (Relatedly, we have a 5.5-year-old Bichon for sale. Any takers? Kidding... kind of.)


Even though my sister was quick to remind me that this theory is a bunch of hooey, I have very much been feeling like I tempted fate by saying aloud on Friday that I was grateful our winter had been mostly free of illness at our house and again on Monday by blogging about how we were finally starting to feel comfortable as a family of 4. Monday and Tuesday were brutal. BRUTAL, I tell you.


Davis was just miserable when he woke up on Monday. We couldn't get his temperature down, he couldn't keep any food down, and he had developed some weird rash on his thighs. Since it was day 3 of his fever and he was such a pitiful mess, I made the decision to take him into the pediatrician to get checked out. Avery was already scheduled to have her 4 month well check on Tuesday, but I was able to bump it up a day and do both visits at the same time. (Sick child + baby getting shots = endless fun!) Thanks to some divine intervention, the appointment went smoothly, but the diagnosis for Davis was unhelpful: an unknown virus. We were sent home and told to keep an eye on him and come back in a couple of days if he was still sick.

The rest of the day was spent laying low at home, trying to keep both fussy kiddos as comfortable (and separated) as possible until bedtime... and that was when the poop really hit the fan.


This poor kid was up off and on all night, crying, coughing, and barfing, with his temperature spiking to 104.9. Not wanting to miss out on the attention in the middle of the night, Avery also woke up countless times crying (stupid vaccines!) and once for a blow-out diaper that required an outfit/swaddle/crib sheet/mattress pad change. And in case you are wondering if our 3rd child, Rocky, also joined in on the action, let me refer you to the picture above.

All in all, it was a crappy night, but Davis woke up yesterday in much higher spirits and with a much lower temperature, so we were feeling hopeful. He was even playing happily with his toys, which he hasn't done since Saturday morning. But before I knew it, he was back on the couch, complaining about not feeling good and his fever back up. I was starting to get really discouraged at this point.


He woke up from his couch nap seeming happier and healthier again, but after a few hours, went right back to being lethargic with a high fever. 

We are all exhausted. I hate having to watch him feel so awful for so many days without a diagnosis or treatment. It makes my heart hurt. We are headed back to the doctor this morning, and would certainly appreciate your prayers for a diagnosis and something to get our little guy feeling 100% better as soon as possible.

12 comments:

Aubrey said...

Poor little guy (and mama!). I really hope he feels better soon!

The Joiners said...

Praying for the little guy to be 100% better today and for all 4 of you (not Rocky) to get some much-needed rest!!

Brittnie said...

OH no. . . I'm so sorry. This has to be so hard to deal with and also to watch him suffer. Praying for you all today. . . that Davis will get a diagnosis & proper treatment and that you will have an extra dose of strength. Hugs.

The Bird said...

So sorry about all of the illness. Poor little guy! And poor mama! It is so hard to see your little ones sick :( There have been some nasty viruses going around this winter. We've gotten a taste of 2 of them and the last one left little F lethargic and with fevers. After 2 days of high fever she got a little rash but was feeling mostly back to normal! Hope Davis feels better soon and that all 4 of you can catch up on some rest (although, is that really possible with 2 little ones in the house? Not sure...)

Natasha said...

Oh Allison, as you know I have been there. It is exhausting. I pray you get a diagnosis for Davis and that he is feeling better soon. I'm thankful that Avery was able to have her appointment at the same time. I am also praying that you get some good sleep soon. It is so hard to have our little ones sick and to be exhausted at the same time.

Sarah said...

SAME thing over here, not even kidding. I told Derek how it was sooooo nice to have had an AWESOME winter with really no sickness and BAM the next day Drew was sent home with a fever and now I'm fighting some throat pains. UGH. Hope you guys get through this quickly!!

Jennie said...

Aw, poor little guy! Sending a pray for him (AND FOR MAMA!) Hope y'all feel better and rested soon.

Erika said...

Oh gosh, poor sweet thing! He looks so pathetic in those pictures!! I really hope yall get a better diagnosis & prognosis today...I can't handle more sad pictures like that!

kimcheng7147 said...

Awwwww.........I hope everyone is better very soon!!

Allena said...

Man oh man, do I remember that with Trent's leg strep. Sending good thoughts and prayers for good news!

Liz said...

oh no! I hope Davis feels better and that he gets some amazing meds to speed up his recovery! You can always tell when your kids REALLY do not feel well when they do not even want to play with their toys! :(

Brittany Sciba said...

Poor baby! I hate how everything is "just a virus". Ugh! It's so frustrating when you have to just wait it out. I hope he starts feeling better very soon!