Wednesday, February 26, 2014

This kid

This is one of those posts that is mostly for me to preserve the memories, but hopefully if you read it, you'll still get a kick out of some of the current Davis-isms listed below...


Yesterday, on the way to school, Davis and I were chatting about the things he has been learning at church. I asked him who Jesus loves, and he proudly exclaimed, "Everybody!" I followed that up with, "Does Jesus love Avery?" And he responded with, "No, not Avery! Jesus loves EVERYBODY!" (Guess we need to work on his definition of the word "everybody.")

Relatedly, while talking about what they did in chapel at school, he recited to me, "Dear Mom, Thank you for food. Amen."

I already posted about this on facebook, but again, this is for me to remember... we took him to the park on Saturday, and he was busy swinging with Wade while I was sitting on a bench nearby with Avery. All of a sudden, he jumped off the swing, ran over to me, cupped his hand around my ear, and whispered, "You look pretty, Mama!"

He was trying to get Rocky to come outside with him the other day, and just like we do, he was standing there clapping his hands and yelling, "Come here, Grocky (his pronunciation of Rocky)!" I started smiling because I found it amusing, and he turned to me and said, "It's NOT funny, Mama."


I often tell Davis that I am going to "jump into the shower," and recently after I told him this, he followed me into the bathroom and said, "I wanna see you jump!"

He has apparently been so consistent about wishing people "happy holidays" over the last few months that one of the aides at his preschool stopped me last week to say she was disappointed Davis hadn't wished anyone a "happy Presidents' Day!"... ha!

Whenever he does something "ugly," as we like to call it, we talk about it several times throughout the day afterwards to drive home the point that it's a bad idea to do whatever he did. I guess because we talk about it so much, he often greets Wade as he gets home from work with a confession, like, "I kick my friend at soccer today!" He just says it so cheerfully that we aren't always sure he has quite gotten the point...

Yesterday when he looked outside and saw the cloudy, drizzly weather, he informed us, "It's froggy outside."


He is just a mess. And we tell him that so regularly that sometimes he tells us, "I am a mess!" Sometimes he makes us feel like our brains are about to explode, but at the end of the day, we always find ourselves laughing at the things he has said and done. He really is a good kid, and like I always say, we are thankful to call him ours.

9 comments:

Brittnie said...

"Dear Mom, Thank you for food. Amen."

Love this. . . ha!

The Joiners said...

I can still see some of his "baby" in that last pic of him sleeping!

The jump part made me laugh- funny to me that they take things so literally!

Stay funny, little guy!

Erika said...

LOVE this!! Obviously his teachers should know that Presidents' Day is included in his generic 'happy holidays' greeting...it's holidaySSSSS, right?? Soo...obviously he's just trying to not offend all the people (commies) who don't observe Presidents' Day.

Allena said...

That is all so sweet, and I'm so glad you blogged them for all of us to enjoy!

Natasha said...

My heart melted a little bit with the jumping off the swing secret. Awww.

One of the reasons I love blogging is that it allows me to preserve memories like this, which might otherwise be forgotten. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Amanda said...

I assume that there are some rather unfantastic parts about kids this age... temper tantrums, running through parking lots, biting, etc, but I kind of love this age. They're still sweet enough to snuggle but they say the funniest things!

Courtney Squillante said...

I love reading all the little things different kids say! He sounds soo sweet!!

Aubrey said...

I love when you post about all of Davis's "Davisisms"!! So cute!

Brittany Sciba said...

I love reading things like this!! He's so funny, which is not surprising since you are his mom! :) My favorite was when he told you, "That's NOT funny!"