Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Get your craft on

A lot of moms-to-be like to "nest." For me? "Nesting" is just my usual obsessive-compulsive tendencies that are kicked into serious overdrive when I am pregnant tied up in a pretty bow, and then it makes me feel better to think I am behaving "normally" rather than... obsessively. 

My extreme need for productivity might be a little over the top sometimes, but thanks to some inspiration from a recent crafting post by my friend Courtney, I was able to channel that need into something good and cute! So yeah, I basically stole a couple of ideas from her (imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?), but I still had to do the manual labor all by myself (with some help from Wade) and I'm super pleased with how they turned out. Behold the fruits of my labor for Avery's nursery!

I sort-of-kind-of used this tutorial for guidance, but mostly I just used Wade's brain and spatial reasoning skills to help me figure out how to do it. It ain't perfect, but I think it turned out pretty darn cute!

This one was taken straight from Courtney's post mentioned above - I even printed out her picture and traced the outline of the owl onto a sheet of paper because I don't trust my ability to freehand. Hootie hoo!

And with that, the decor for the nursery is pretty much finished! All we had to get in terms of bedding was a new bumper pad (yes, we use those because I am a neglectful mother who doesn't care about the safety of my children, obviously), which is already on its way to us, so I'm thankful I don't have much work left to put into that room after all the effort I put forth for Davis's. Thanks again to Courtney for inspiring me to get my craft on and do a couple of fun projects!

12 comments:

The Joiners said...

Very impressed with your craftiness and hooray for having the room mostly ready for Avery (minus the life-threatening crib accessory, obviously)! Also, your Molly doll is still not as cool as my Samantha doll.

Brittnie said...

I do not have a crafty bone in my body so I am super impressed with your skills. And I am also super impressed with you having her nursery mostly finished. Ummmmm with Clara we were 5 weeks out and just painting the walls, lol. Maybe we will work a little faster this time??? Probably not. :)

Nikki Miller said...

So cute and very crafty! I LOVE the American girl doll on the shelf!

Courtney Squillante said...

I'm obsessed with that A! Adorable!!!! And the owl turned out SUPER cute! Yay!

Jennie said...

Those are very cute! I love the colors and can't wait to see your finished nursery (which sounds like will be done before ours - I need to get on the ball seeing as I'm 6 weeks ahead of you!) :)

Erika said...

Super cute!!! I love the wrapped A!

Mollyanne said...

Those are all so cute! And I have the same Molly doll. I was never into playing with dolls and she's the only one I ever asked for. I heard recently that they're discontinuing her so that means our dolls will be worth something to collectors someday, right?
Also, I had to pretend I wasn't disappointed that the bedding I picked for Emery didn't even come with a bumper. The company who makes it doesn't sell them at all anymore so I ended up buying a boring old safe mesh one. :/

Brittany Sciba said...

So cute!! I am so impressed with the A! I don't think I have enough crafting patience for a project like that! I also love the owl and the Molly doll! I had Samantha like Amanda and Alli had Molly! :) Avery will love her room.

bellehavendrive said...

Love this! And I love, love, love Molly McIntire (my maiden name, FYI ;).I assume she's from your childhood? I have Felicity and Addy. I think those "antique" touches are so special.

Amanda said...

I LOVE the "A" so, so cute! But I think I might love that you've saved Molly for your sweet girl even more! It's going to be such a sweet little room!

Allena said...

So cute! I did a 'G' in Drew's room (because per usual she didn't have a name until she was born) and love it! The curved edges were a b*tch so it is kind of messy but I think it turned out so good.

And I'm getting a slurpee at 3:00 with a co-worker for my afternoon reward for a successful morning! :)

Natasha said...

I love those!!!

And I used bumpers for my kids -- awful mom that I am :)