Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Double the babies

I know this is going to sound a little silly, but ever since staying up all night at the hospital while in labor with Davis watching footage of the royal wedding (and subsequently Davis getting to share a birthday with their wedding day), I have felt some kind of connection to Will and Kate. (See? I told you it was going to sound silly.) So whenever I found out they were expecting, and then yesterday when I woke up to find out Kate was in labor, I foolishly felt more like a distant family member rather than a TOTAL AND COMPLETE STRANGER waiting to hear the news of the baby's arrival.

I was already excited when I woke up yesterday because one of my BFFs, Brittany, was scheduled to have a C-section to deliver her second baby - and just like Kate, the sex of the baby was going to be a surprise! This day and age, I feel like it's a lot more rare for people to choose not to find out in advance what they are having, so to have a close friend AND a total stranger distant family member both giving birth to "surprise" babies in one day made for a pretty exciting Monday in my world. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time hitting "refresh" on news websites and also kept my phone within earshot at all times.

The results? Two upsets (though neither was actually upsetting)!

Thanks to the media speculation, I was convinced the royal baby would be a girl - obviously the media (and I!) were wrong!

As for my friend's baby, she was convinced it was going to be a boy, so I had convinced myself of the same - I was surprised to get word yesterday afternoon that it was a girl!

Just another manic Monday, my friends. I'm guessing it won't, but let's see if Tuesday can beat that...

9 comments:

The Joiners said...

Hooray for babies being born to both of your "close" friends! Maybe Clara, Georgia Kate, and Avery can go on a show one day and compete to marry the prince?

Brittnie said...

I too thought the royal baby would be a girl!! I was so convinced (for no real reason whatsoever). I also thought your friend Brittany's baby would be a boy (for no real reason whatsoever). So clearly my gender guessing skills are accurate. :)

Aubrey said...

I'm dying to hear what baby Cambridge's name is!!

Natasha said...

I would totally say you are a distant family member rather than total stranger :) You obviously have lots of connections with Will, Kate and Baby Cambridge.

Nancie B. said...

I'm already figuring we can marry Clara or Avery off to the new Prince and get some REAL Royal blood in the family. Now is that a plan or what?

Jennie said...

Don't feel silly - I am the same way!! I was in UK right after the wedding and have commemorative coffee mugs that I don't let anyone use but me.

I was also convinced it was a girl, but a boy is fun, too! One of the names that the media throws around the most is the first part of our little guy's name, so - while I adore Kate - if that chick steals my baby name I'm going to be ticked. :)

Erika said...

I was totally surprised that Kate had a boy, too. And I've been accomplishing NOTHING for like...weeks, waiting on that silly baby to be born. I'm curious to hear what the name will be, but I feel like I don't care nearly as much as I would have if it were a girl. Maybe because all the boy names that the media's throwing around are kind of predictable/boring or something. (Except whichever name it is that Jennie is also considering. Obviously that one is fabulous and they should NOT steal it from her.)

Allena said...

What's the name for your friend's baby???

Courtney Squillante said...

What if they name the Prince George AND Georgia Kate was born that day?! Destined to be together!!!