Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My, how life has changed...

Around this time last year, Amanda and I made a short trip to Dallas with our Mom (before my parents moved back) to visit family and old friends. The day Amanda came to Austin to meet up with me so we could make the drive together, she had gotten news that their second IUI was unsuccessful. This was a big blow to them (as was every unsuccessful attempt at getting pregnant during those 3 years they were trying), and as her sister, I was feeling pretty defeated myself. At the time, we had no idea that they would then start their first and only round of IVF, that they would find out they were pregnant a couple of months later... only to find out it was with twins shortly after that.

As for Wade and me, we had a busy 1-year-old on our hands and, given the difficulty we had conceiving him, we had just tiptoed into that gray area of trying-by-way-of-not-preventing. We had hoped that the sooner we started trying, the less trouble we might have getting pregnant... but we were also terrified of beating Amanda and Brian to the punch. At the time, we had no idea that we would only be in that gray area for a very short amount of time, that we would find out we were pregnant the very next month... only to experience loss the month after that.

Here we are a year later, and I cannot get over how much life has changed in 12 short months! We are trading pictures of babies and sonograms. We are swapping stories of how our children make us laugh and simultaneously want to pull all of our hair out (one strand at a time) (ok, so that one's mostly me). We each are daydreaming of sleeping in and going to the grocery store by ourselves. We are finally "doing" motherhood together, just as we have always wanted to do.

Yes, life is so much sweeter for both of us right now, but I know that neither of us will ever forget what we went through to get to these points. At times along the way, it has felt really unfair that both of us had to deal with such heartache on our journeys to become parents. Why not just one of us? But it seems to me that God planned it this way for a couple of reasons: 1. so we could lean on each other and really understand what the other was going through, and 2. so we could reach a wider audience of people who might be going through something similar. Two are better than one, right?

Our lives are far from perfect, and none of this is to say that we won't fall on hard times again, but I do hope that our stories over the past few years will serve as encouragement to anyone out there that might be struggling as they are waiting on God's timing in their lives. And I also want to leave you with some lyrics from the song "Never Once" by Matt Redman that really sums up how I'm feeling as I think back on the last year...

Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we've come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us
Kneeling on this battleground
Seeing just how much You've done
Knowing every victory 
Was your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did you leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, you are faithful


14 comments:

Aubrey said...

So amazing. This brought tears to my eyes! I'm so happy you had each other through the most difficult time in both your lives. Both of your stories gives me hope :)

Beth said...

Great post, Allison. Seems like the last year has flown by and simultaneously dragged on. I'm so happy that you and Amanda get to share motherhood but also really understand each other's struggle to get there.

Katy said...

Love this! I am so, so happy that you guys are "doing motherhood" together now. What a true, amazing gift.

Erika said...

Love that song. Wish I could do motherhood WITH yall!! Bah.

The Joiners said...

Great post, sis, and amen! I was worried this post was going to stem from the spit up picture I sent yesterday and talk about how different our picture exchanges are, ha! Thankful we are both on the "other side" of those hurdles... until we reach the next ones, that is :)

Natasha said...

Awwww. After years of waiting for a husband and children, I too sometimes look around and think about how wonderful life currently is. It especially hits me when I'm hanging out with my best friend and her family because we spend so much time together and for a long time it was her, her husband and daughter and me. Now there are eight of us when we get together.

And what a good reminder in that song -- God is always with us.

Amanda said...

Isn't it crazy how fast it can all change? So glad that things turned out well for BOTH you and Amanda!

Jennie said...

Such a great message of hope! I pray that people feel comforted by this if they're at the point where they can't imagine all the things they're hoping for in a year's time. (And a reminder for all of us to think back and be grateful for all that God has done!)

Brittany Sciba said...

What a sweet post! 2013 will certainly be a wonderful year for both of you! :)

Brittnie said...

Such great words! Man, how a year really can change a lot of things, right? I love how God puts just the right people in our life (be it fam or friends) to walk beside us through the ups and downs and the good and the bad. God really has a way of bringing our stories full circle, even if it takes more than a year to see it all come together.

Allison said...

Great post and song...thanks for sharing your journey with us!

{Jess} said...

Hi! So, just found your blog through Brittnie at A Joy Renewed and would like to come forward so I'm not in the realm of blogstalker.

Love this post! And I can relate on many levels--my husband and I struggled with infertility and unfortunately/fortunately I was blessed to have two close friends who went through infertility as well (pretty much at the same time).

It is so inspiring and amazing to look back on stories such as yours and see God's faithfulness.

katylh said...

I am so incredibly happy for both of you! God is so good!

katylh said...

I am so incredibly happy for both of you! God is so good!