Friday, June 14, 2013

Dog days

To begin, a note to those of you who swear that taking your child swimming in the morning leads to marathon naps in the afternoon: WHY DO YOU LIE?!

I'm telling you, I could put Davis in a giant hamster wheel in the middle of a splash pad and force him to run in it for 2 hours straight, then have him swim laps in a pool for 2 hours, and I swear to you that his nap would be just as pitiful that afternoon as it was the day before. As far as I am concerned, 3 hour naps exist only when my child is battling a fever. And since that has happened approximately 3 times in his short life, basically MAMA NEVER EVER EVER GETS 3 HOUR NAPS.

In May, he went through this really wonderful phase of sleeping for at least 2-2.5 hours every day. That was the perfect amount for both of us. He woke up well-rested (ie: NOT SCREAMING), and I didn't feel like strangling him when he woke up. But as soon as the calendar flipped to June, that disappeared. And just in time for summer, aka: the black hole of not enough scheduled activities (specifically where someone else is taking care of my child for 1-2 days a week). Let's do a little math, shall we? Too Much Togetherness + Crappy Naps = I Regularly Send Text Messages to People Wherein I Threaten to Jump out the Window.

I honestly thought I would be able to fend off this issue by signing him up for swim lessons. Because like I mentioned above, I've been told that swimming and long naps go hand in hand, right? Let's just say that's the opposite of what's happening this week. And I hate it, because Grumpy Allison is really not a very great mom. But I can't force the kid to sleep! And even if I try to ignore him after he wakes up, I still have to listen to him scream-cry until I cave and go get him, at which point the grumpiness has already set in. In summary, only having a 1-1.5 hour break from each other during the day isn't doing either of us any favors.

I'm hoping this pattern doesn't keep repeating itself for the rest of the summer, but the good news is that 1) Wade and I are taking a vacation BY OURSELVES in a few weeks, and 2) he will be taking 2 weeks of "summer school" at the end of July. So I suppose I'll just have to do my best to stay sane until then! I think I can, I think I can... (and I don't have a choice so I'll do it anyway).

9 comments:

Aubrey said...

Davis doesn't know what he's missing by choosing not to nap for 3 hours!! :)

Natasha said...

Oh, do I hear you. Why do all children's activities end in the summer. It's not like we're stuck in our (non air-conditioned) houses and wanting to stay there!

And it never fails, on days when I count on my kids having a good nap/quiet time (you know, they stayed up too late the night before or we had an exhausting morning), those are the days when they don't nap. Why???

I'm hoping this gets better soon.

The Joiners said...

I really want to see you try the hamster wheel idea... if that doesn't work, just remember to take it one day at a time (sometimes one hour at a time). Eating your feelings is also a helpful way of coping, especially when you're pregnant and can get away with it. The end.

Erika said...

Something must be seriously wrong with Davis. I only have to LOOK at a pool and I'm out cold for a good 2 hours. On the plus side, with all of that energy, maybe he can be an Olympic swimmer athlete of some sort some day?

Amanda said...

I agree with Erika... BUT, Davis tends to a be unique, so I feel like the solution is to let him swim in a cold pool or play in the rain and hope he gets a cold, pneumonia, etc because then he'd have a fever. Good plan, right?

P.S. I'm gonna be a great mom!

Patrick's mommy said...

Give him an epsom salt bath after swimming to detox the chlorine and help calm him.

Gillian said...

I really think some kids are just meant to be 3 hour nappers and others aren't. It's so weird, but I'm sorry Davis isn't giving you that much needed break. Hang in there!

Brittany Sciba said...

You know my sympathies on the nap issue. Also, yay for a vacation soon!! :)

Brittnie said...

If kids only knew what they were missing with the long naps??? Geez. One day they will want nothing more than a good long snooze, but they will be at school, or stuck at work, thus no can do.

Yay for a vacation!!! You deserve it!