Thursday, April 18, 2013

FWP

(FWP = first world problem)

When I was pregnant with Davis, I had a pretty crummy appetite in the beginning. My diet consisted of lots of bland carbohydrates and not very many (translation: zero) fruits and vegetables (three cheers for prenatal vitamins!). I also wasn't sure what would sound ok from day to day, so there were lots of last minute trips to the grocery store or to a fast food place to procure dinner for myself. Many days my saint of a husband would make those trips for me, while I wallowed in my misery at home, waiting patiently for my unhealthy meal to be delivered.

That was then... this is now. Though my appetite is equally fickle, I now have a HUMAN in the backseat with me everywhere I go. And unfortunately for me, that human gets smarter every day, and has therefore figured out what it means when she pulls up to a drive-through window. Let's just say it only took him 1 or 2 trips to learn the word "fries" and use it in conjunction with the words "more" and "please." So now every time I search through the pantry only to find everything inside it offends me, and all I want to do is drive to Whataburger for a kid's meal, I have to weigh my options.

Do I want to eat something that sounds good and might settle my stomach, but risk having to share it with an angry toddler who will demand more fries from the backseat approximately every 15 seconds (regardless of whether I actually ordered any fries)? Or do I want to skip the drive-through altogether and suffer at home with boring cereal? Sure, I could wait for Wade to get home and sneak the food into me before our darling angel notices, but that requires a lot of patience and waiting, two things at which I am notoriously horrible.

As I write this, I am choosing to think of this "problem" as a positive thing, considering it will likely save us money and save me from gaining a few pounds, but let me assure you that in the moment when it happens, it leaves me feeling lots of unpleasant feelings toward my toddler. Which is totally fair and not selfish of me. For now I will just continue doing reasonable things like eating my fries in secret in the bedroom or waiting to eat my "good" snacks until he is asleep...

9 comments:

Courtney Squillante said...

Ha! That is hysterical. FWP fo sho!

Aubrey said...

Ha ha!!

What is Whataburger?! We don't have one of those up here!

Natasha said...

I used to get so (unfairly) irritated with Sam. I'd be eating something that was actually appealing and he'd be standing there going, "Me me me me me." It really depends on how hungry you are vs how willing to share you are :)

Erika said...

Thanks for reminding me that I would have to drive for 10 hours to get Whataburger. Why don't you just pour some salt in this papercut I have, too?

Mollyanne said...

Erika makes me feel like I need to drive 10 hours, since I've never had Whataburger. When I really just wanted to tell you that I completely relate to this post (yet again!). My current tactic is to get fast food 1-2 times per week for lunch on the days Hudson goes to school in the morning. It's quite the bad habit, but so nice to not have to share or buy a 2nd meal every time. And I can totally live with being the hypocrite that eats fast food then 20 minutes later lectures my kid about his fruits/vegetables. Those fries are worth that guilt every time.

Brittany Sciba said...

I could have written this EXACT post a few months ago...so funny! :) Also, I'm so sad for all of your readers that don't know about Whataburger!

Sarah said...

I'm not even pregnant and am kinda glad you brought it up! I didn't even thinking about not gaining as much weight due to trying to eat healthier for Drew!

The Joiners said...

You should start ordering a healthy side at these places that he won't like and then giving that to him instead until he gives up. I'm guessing that probably wouldn't work...

Brittnie said...

How sad that some of your readers don't know of Whataburger. The horror!!!