Friday, February 08, 2013

Fire

Yesterday afternoon we met some friends at a park in the neighborhood adjacent to ours. I decided to walk since it was so nice outside, and on our way back home, I realized I was hearing a lot of sirens nearby. It was rush hour at that point, so I figured there had been a car accident somewhere and didn't think much of it. But then I turned a corner to head toward my section of the neighborhood and saw a giant cloud of gray smoke in the sky.


My spatial recognition skills are not awesome, but I could tell that it looked like it was pretty darn close. Sure enough, when I was about a block and a half away from our house, I looked in the opposite direction and saw this:


It felt like half the neighborhood was just standing there, watching the firefighters work their hardest to get the fire under control while we all wondered what happened, if anyone was inside the house, it they would be able to keep it from spreading to other houses.


Eventually they were able to put all the flames out, and most of us returned home as they began taping off the scene. We came back out later and learned that there was an elderly couple living in the home, and unfortunately the woman was killed in the fire. 

You see things like this on the news all the time, but this one quite literally hit too close to home. I'm obviously very sad for the family involved, but selfishly also very thankful I didn't arrive home to find that our house was the cause of all the commotion. Hugging my loved ones tightly today - yes, even those pesky dogs of mine...

11 comments:

Courtney Squillante said...

Ohhhh so so sad :(

Erika said...

How awful. So sad for the man...he will be in my thoughts today. Thankful yall and your house are okay.

The Joiners said...

So terrible :(

Nancie Bee said...

I still have very vivid memories of the house across the street from us burning when I was in maybe my teens. No one was home but the WHOLE house burned. I didn't sleep for months-constantly waking up at night and thinking I heard flames crackling.
It is a very overwhelming sight.

Aubrey said...

So sad... I'm so sad for the woman's husband and for her entire family. I'm glad though, that you are all OK!

Natasha said...

I'm so thankful that you are all okay and I am praying for the woman's family. How utterly sad for them.

Sarah said...

Oh my LORD that's pretty major. Glad you guys are all ok!

The Callegaris said...

We live freaky similar lives. The house around the corner from us had a fire in early January. It's really sad to think about all they lost....

Brittany Sciba said...

How scary and sad!! :( I'm so happy you and your house are okay!!

Brittnie said...

How sad. Thankful you guys are safe.

Annie Gruetzmacher said...

Wow. BRU.TAL. How awful, my heart is crushed! I wonder what caused the fire.